Page 1 of 1

Breaking News

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 am30 1:36 am
by James Cracknell
Here I introduce a 'Breaking News' regnus script for the online satirical newspaper, http://www.the-taxman.co.uk, created by James Cracknell.

NB. 2013's super-sized update includes a master file plus four sub files - you need to download all five files and keep them in the same directory to make the script work!

Re: Breaking News

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 am31 2:19 am
by James Cracknell
Breaking News file has now been updated with bugs removed and new subjects added. Enjoy.

Re: Breaking News

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 pm31 7:46 pm
by James Cracknell
Completely re-worked and expanded Breaking News file now with more than 2,000 entries. In use on the site http://www.the-taxman.co.uk

Re: Breaking News

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 pm28 10:28 pm
by James Cracknell
Bigger, badder, harder Breaking News file.

Mod Edit: new version moved to original post! Ryan

Re: Breaking News

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 am28 12:24 am
by Ryan
Great stuff - I've updated the Script Showcase with the latest version.

Note: rather than re-posting each new version in a new post, you might want to just update the first post with the latest version and post below to announce the update. That makes it easier for people to find the latest version in the thread.

Ryan

Re: Breaking News

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 am31 12:50 am
by James Cracknell
Here it is. The one you've been waiting for. The BIGGEST Regnus script EVER!

So big, in fact, that I decided to split it into two separate files in order to make it run smoother. Make sure you download both files (from the top post of this thread), and save them in the same directory. It will then work the same as usual - open the master Breaking News file and the script does the rest.

Enjoy!

PS. And don't forget, Breaking News is used on every page of the UK's top campaigning satirical news website http://www.the-taxman.co.uk

Re: Breaking News

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 pm28 10:12 pm
by James Cracknell
Further to my update in January, I have been working on improving the efficiency of my huge script and have discovered that taking out some of the longest closed lists and putting them in separate files is the best way forward. So we now have a master file (BreakingNews.rsf) and four other sub files (BreakingNews_name.rsf, BreakingNews_organisation.rsf, BreakingNews_place.rsf and BreakingNews_studyevent.rsf).

I found that this method of file separation speeds up generation time by 3x!