Choose Your Own Adventure!

A place to share and discuss your Regnus scripts!
Rhiannon

Choose Your Own Adventure!

Post by Rhiannon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 pm28 2:44 pm

I've been working on a randomised Choose Your Own Adventure style script. It still needs some more random-ness to some of the entries, so consider this a work in progress, but (I think) all the stories now work so have a look and let me know if you have any suggestions! ;)
Attachments
CYOA.rsf
(58.91 KiB) Downloaded 947 times
Last edited by Rhiannon on Wed Feb 23, 2011 pm28 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neuzd

Re: Choose Your Own Adventure!

Post by neuzd » Wed Feb 23, 2011 pm28 10:21 pm

There's a 'eMtry' instead of ENTRY at line 151 (group: Objects1, entry: mirrors).

This sounds like a fun script. If you manage to make it more complex and still make the story retain some sense, it may turn out to be very interesting.

Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 pm28 11:10 pm

Thanks - just fixed that!

veryalien

Post by veryalien » Thu Apr 17, 2014 am30 10:13 am

From this discussion about linking the individual CYOA pages together using Regnus PHP...

Ideas and discussion for Regnus 5.4

I thought I'd have a go and see how 'easily' it could be done using standard Regnus without any tricks...

It seems it isn't so difficult after all! ;) You can see the results of modifying the original CYOA here (running on one of my web-sites):

Start Choosing Your Own Regnus Adventure!

There is a tiny, tiny bit of PHP magic to get the page label for each turn of the page and the page links need to be formatted correctly in the Regnus script. See the attached files (replace the dummy paths to Regnus and scripts as needed!).

In the current version the next page is generated individually by running Regnus each time you click a link. There is currently no memory between each page.

It should also be possible to generate a single HTML file that contains a completely pre-generated story by running Regnus once for each adventure page (generating internal HTML links) and then stitch all the 'pages' together within a single HTML file. Note that, with a bit of fiddling around with the Regnus output, this could actually be done in any of the Regnus versions (PHP, Java, Windows, etc.), so you don't need to have a PHP web-site to do this sort of linking. The self-contained, pre-generated (frozen-randomness) HTML file could be used locally in your browser or uploaded to the net to share with others.
Attachments
linked_cyoa.zip
PHP and rsf files for linked CYOA script
(19.26 KiB) Downloaded 419 times