Version 1.1.0 (GUI Version)

Discussion of the Regnus Parser for the Java Platform.
neuzd

Version 1.1.0 (GUI Version)

Post by neuzd »

This thread is for the discussion of the Regnus Parser for Java, version 1.1.0.

Changes this version:
  • Parser updated to support Regnus specification 5.3.
  • Added the debugger feature.
  • Parser now reports correct error upon encountering invalid characters within references.
  • Script title and author are now displayed as the parser window titlebar.
Fixes:
  • Corrrected a bug where the output window would automatically scroll to the bottom of the text.
  • Corrected a bug about the titlebar of the parser window, which showed the previously open script title if no TITLE qualifier was found in the current script.
  • Similarly, if opening a script with no TITLE qualifier as the very first file, "Untitled" is displayed as the titlebar instead of the unelegant text displayed before.
  • Corrected a bug in which multiple labels in a single line weren't selectable, plus they're now added to the number of labels found in the 'details' screen.
  • Corrected a bug where a label escaped by the * AGC was selectable.
  • Several other minor bugs fixing.

The most important feature of this version is of course the addition of the Debugger, which will greatly help script authors in finding possible problems in their scripts.
As with the previous version, the source package only contains the parser class. Currently this is not optimized to be integrated in other projects, and it cannot work at all as a standalone program; if you want to use it in these ways, you have to figure out a couple of things by yourself or, of course, ask here for help.
I intend to refine the code in this class to accomplish these tasks (being more modular-friendly and work as a standalone console program) in a future version.

thunderclap

Re: Version 1.1.0

Post by thunderclap »

Hi Neuzd. I've been using the Java parser (very nice that you added debugging, btw) and I have a couple of suggestions.

First of all there's a bug where I sometimes get the message "Cannot load preferences, unexpected error" when I start the parser, and then my settings are gone. It would really be nice if the java parser could automatically save it's settings to a file in the folder where it's located. That would also make the Java parser more portable between computers, as you could easily copy the settings file. :)

There's a few other things that would make the Java parser just a bit more convenient to use. Would you consider allowing an RSF to be run by dragging it onto the Regnus.jar, or by dragging the RSF onto an open parser window? That's my preferred way to run scripts as it's faster than choosing something through a dialog box, and I do wish I had that option when I use the Java parser.

And finally I've noticed that if you click on the scroll box next to "Generate" scrolling with the mouse wheel doesn't work as well as it does in the windows parser. It's kind of hard to explain but in the Java parser, when you click the scroll box you have to move the mouse down a bit before you can scroll with the mouse wheel. If you try scrolling without moving the mouse down the scroll list just disappears.

Actually if would really be nice if you could use the mouse wheel to scroll through that list just by mousing over it and not having to click anything :)

neuzd

Post by neuzd »

Hi there and welcome! Sorry if I didn't notice your message earlier.
About the preference-file, I believe it *should* be saved within the same folder in which the jar resides, give it a check (when the bug does not mess with your settings of course :P ).
It would be a great help if you could reproduce the error with the java console open and see if there's an exception report over there, so you could copy and paste it here so I can have a clue where to look for the error, because I never experienced that.
About all your other suggestions, there's a little problem right now...last week my HDD decided it was time to search the answer for the riddle of life and since I'm one of those silly guys who never makes back ups, I lost all Java-Regnus sourcefiles.
Fortunately the most important of them all, the parser, is hosted here, so work on spec 5.4 is not in danger. If Ryan has saved the sources of the other files, no problems, otherwise, well...I'm afraid rewriting the application is not one of my top priorities, and so adding features is also not assured in short times.
Anyway, I'm sure I sent Ryan one of the first versions, I don't know if I sent them again later or if there was any big modifications. Though I guess I can have the opportunity to look into your suggestions, I'm confident Ryan saved everything I sent him (....please do!).
One thing I can almost surely say, is that dragging a file onto the jar icon will not work. I've looked into that recently, for another project, and I think I remember no working solution exists.
Thanks for your input, see you soon.

[EDIT]
Through the magic process of decompilation, I recovered all the sources directly from the jars (silly me, not thinking of that immediately).
Rejoice : D

thunderclap

Post by thunderclap »

neuzd wrote:About the preference-file, I believe it *should* be saved within the same folder in which the jar resides, give it a check (when the bug does not mess with your settings of course :P ).

I put the Regnus jar into its own folder and quickly found both the source of the problem and why I thought the java version wasn't saving settings in the program folder. Settings.dat showed up after closing the program - which is the exact same filename the Windows version stores settings in. So apparently there's an incompatibility right now with using them both in the same folder, simply because they use the same name for the settings file :P

neuzd wrote:One thing I can almost surely say, is that dragging a file onto the jar icon will not work. I've looked into that recently, for another project, and I think I remember no working solution exists.

One of the main reasons I still use the Windows version in addition to Java is because it does have drag and drop convenience, so that's rather unfortunate. Do you think it could be possible to drag RSFs onto the open program window itself to run them?

neuzd wrote:Through the magic process of decompilation, I recovered all the sources directly from the jars (silly me, not thinking of that immediately).
Rejoice : D

I was going to mention that java should be very easy to decompile :P Losing data in a HDD failure could easily throw anyone for a loop though.

veryalien

Post by veryalien »

Aside from harddisk crashes, is the Java RE GUI version still maintained? It's currently listed as 5.3 compliant and Regnus is up to 5.4.

neuzd

Post by neuzd »

It will.
I neglected working on it for other reasons, mainly not having the will to program on my own after a full day immersed in Java code.
It will take some time, because I'm doing some other stuff now, mostly music, and that always has the precedence.
Sorry for staying so far away. I'm not going to say a date, but I will get back to Regnus, soon.

neuzd

Post by neuzd »

I actively got back on the code today.
I started setting up the project in such a way that both parsers can be easily maintained and added a couple of features: the debugger to the CLI version, and a system to recognize (and ignore) BOM characters.

I began studying the new features of 5.4 and 5.5 and I've already started cleaning some code and implementing a few of the basic functions that the new versions use.
I hope I'll have the will to keep this going. Sorry for the long wait.

Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Ryan »

Great to hear you're working on an update to the Java parser, Neuzd. :)

Ryan

neuzd

Post by neuzd »

Update on development of version 1.2.0: all code has been successfully implemented, now it's time for some serious debug sessions. Because so much has changed it will probably take quite some time.
Also the Debugger is in need of an update because of the new features.

At this point though, I'm pretty confident to say that this time it's for real : D